71% of travelers in the US and Europe will book a vacation rental within the next 18 months
PARIS and SAN DIEGO, May 4, 2021 / PRNewswire / –
Key points to remember
- Vacation rentals are among the top choices among all other forms of accommodation for 78% of travelers, continuing even beyond the pandemic, with 86% saying they would book one in the next 18 months.
- Consumers are excited to travel again, with 80% of respondents planning to travel within the next 18 months, and about half of travelers surveyed (49%) planning to travel within the country.
- Respondents indicated that the trip was a good motivation to take a COVID-19 vaccine with 21% of Europeans who were undecided about taking one, indicating that being a mandatory part of the trip would push them to get vaccinated.
- Vacation rentals are largely reserved for leisure, but a quarter (22%) of travelers indicated they would book for business reasons (9% for business travel and 13% for an extended stay for work / digital nomad / flexcation))
- Use of travel insurance is expected to increase, with 70% of Europeans and 54% of Americans saying they would be more likely to purchase travel insurance in the wake of the pandemic, as health risks may impact their lives. travel, such as cancellation in the event of COVID infection. or confinement, become a top cover for 43% of travelers questioned.
Europ Assistance (âEAâ) and Generali Global Assistance (âGGAâ) today announced the international results of its first seasonal rental barometer. EA and GGA surveyed 8,700 travelers in eight countries in the United States and Europe of February 28 to April 1, 2021. These survey respondents, who indicated that they would be traveling in the next 18 months and plan to book a vacation rental, were asked about their booking preferences, travel habits, and changing adoption and use of vacation rentals.
Francine Abgrall, Group Head of Travel at Europ Assistance: âThroughout the pandemic, vacation rental has been one area of ââtravel that has been less affected than others. As the travel industry as a whole gears up to resume travel, we wanted to know how travelers feel about their upcoming travel plans and in particular whether the favorable vacation rental trend continues. We felt it was important to assess the sentiment of the average traveler to provide ourselves and our vacation rental industry leaders with valuable information. Overall, the travelers we surveyed are excited to travel yet again, while Europeans have indicated they would prefer to travel overseas, Americans have chosen to stay closer to home. When deciding what type of accommodation they would like on their next trip, 71% said they would book a vacation rental. “
Chris Carnicelli, CEO of Generali Global Assistance: âGiven the pent-up demand for travel, it’s no surprise that around 80% of respondents indicated that they plan to travel within the next 18 months. Based on the results of our rental barometer. vacations and current industry trends, we anticipate that travelers will flock to vacation rentals as they seek a relaxing, socially remote getaway. ”
Upcoming travel plans
- 71% of travelers said they would book a vacation rental in the next 18 months
- 47% of Europeans plan a summer trip (July to September) compared to 35% of Americans, with summer being the most popular travel season among all respondents (45%).
- 23% of Americans said they plan to travel this spring (April to June) compared to 13% of Europeans.
- 21% of American travelers said they plan to travel this fall, while Europeans were more likely to wait until 2022 and beyond to plan their trip compared to Americans (20% vs. 17%).
- 49% of all travelers surveyed said they plan to make their next trip to the country with Americans (71%) most likely to travel near home.
- In contrast, 55% of European travelers indicated that they plan to travel abroad.
- Travelers in Spain (57%), Italy (54%) and Portugal (51%) chose to make their next trip to the country when more travelers Belgium (29%), Germany (39%), the United Kingdom (40%) and France (45%) intended to travel abroad.
- 78% of travelers are more likely to book a vacation rental than all other types of accommodation over the next 18 months and 86% said they would be more likely to continue to book them after the pandemic.
- While it should come as no surprise that 77% of travelers said they would choose a vacation rental for leisure over business (9%), there was a significant minority (13%) of Digital Nomads who reported they would be on extended stays while working remotely.
- Three main reasons for choosing a vacation rental: 1) Comfort, 2) Peace of mind, 3) Confidentiality
New travel habits
- Three main criteria when choosing a destination following a COVID: 1) The destination has clear cleaning protocols, 2) The level of attendance of the location, 3) Who they are traveling with
- Availability of vaccines was more likely to impact travel plans for both Europeans (83%) and Americans (82%).
- 66% of Europeans and 64% of Americans said making the COVID vaccination mandatory to board a flight would not have affected them because they were already planning to take the vaccine.
- 21% of European travelers undecided about taking the vaccine said they would consider it if it was mandatory to take a flight.
Travel insurance preferences
- 70% of Europeans and 64% of Americans said they would be more likely to purchase travel insurance due to the pandemic.
- 44% of Europeans versus 33% had purchased travel insurance when booking a vacation rental in the past.
- The three main guarantees that reassured travelers wishing to book a vacation rental are: 1) cancellation in the event of COVID infection or childbirth (43%), 2) Medical assistance and repatriation (22%), 3) Reimbursement of unused travel days in case their stay is interrupted (20%)
- 23% of Americans are in favor of reimbursement coverage for unused days compared to 20% of Europeans.
- While Europeans (23%) find more peace of mind thanks to Medical Assistance and Repatriation coverage compared to Americans (17%).
Of February 28 to April 1, 2021 Through survey provider Phonic, Europ Assistance polled 8,700 online respondents who are planning to go on a trip and plan to book a vacation rental within the next 18 months. The study consisted of fifteen questions and was sampled in United States, Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Italyand the Unbound Kingdom.
ABOUT THE EUROP ASSISTANCE GROUP
Founded in 1963, Europ Assistance, the inventor of assistance, supports clients in more than 200 countries and territories through our network of 750,000 approved service providers and 41 assistance centers. Our mission is to bring people or businesses in distress to relief – anytime, anywhere. We offer roadside assistance, travel assistance and insurance, as well as personal assistance services such as senior citizen protection, digital identity protection, telemedicine and Conciergerie. The vision of our 8,000 employees is to be the most trusted healthcare company in the world.
Europ Assistance is part of the Generali group, one of the world’s leading insurers.
About Generali Global Assistance
Generali Global Assistance (GGA) is a leading brand that includes travel insurance and assistance, medical risk management and home care, identity and cybersecurity, and other healthcare services. GGA is part of the Generali Group, which for more than 190 years has brought peace of mind to its customers and their customers and is now supported by more than 72,000 employees worldwide. Our success is built on building trust by putting the customer at the heart of everything we do, providing assistance and protection in our customers’ most difficult and stressful situations.
To learn more, please visit: https://us.generaliglobalassistance.com/
T + 184.108.40.206.43.71
T +1 646 859 5955
SOURCE Generali Global Assistance